Saturday 22 October 2016

Chronicles from Paris | Quartier Latin





Crossing the Seine, opposite the Ile de la Cité, is the Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin). Dominated since the middle ages by the Sorbonne, owes its name to the language that was spoken by the students of this university.

Full of life, today its main attractions are the bookstores, cafes, restaurants and jazz clubs. Boulevard St-Michel teems with activity and commerce, but in the maze of streets that cross the neighborhood can be found unconventional and very interesting shops.

Among the major historic buildings there can be found, the highlight goes to the Pantheon, built in the eighteenth century, Le Musée National du Moyen Age, which is installed in a magnificent fifteenth century building, the church of St-Julien-le-Pauvre and the beautiful St-Séverin church, in Gothic style with its gargoyles and lancet windows.

Its also on the Latin Quarter that you can find the famous Shakespeare & Company Bookstore very close to René Viviani Square, wherefrom you can have a beautiful view of Notre Dame (see next photo). Boulevard St. Michel has, also, lots of bookshops, many with big sales.

At the end of Boulevard St-Michel, close to the Seine, you find Place St-Michel where is a fountain by Davioud, with a beautiful statue, by Duret, of Saint Michael killing the dragon.

But what fascinated me most was the small street market of Place Maubert (opens on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays), full of colorful fruits, vegetables and delicious delicatessens. The impressive sympathy of producers and sellers and the quality of products made this one of the highlights of the day.

We tasted this and that, bought fruit to eat during the day and were sorry for not being able to bring so many delicious things there were. The cheese lover in me could not keep away from the heavenly Fromagerie Laurent Dubois that stands in the same square. I must warn you, if you go to Paris and have a big place in your heart for cheese, you must visit this place, but after crossing those doors your are at serious risk of spending all your budget.

























To get there, if you are close to Notre Dame, you can cross the Seine at Pont au Double or at the Petit Point. If you come from some place far in the city you can take the subway to one of the stations in the neighborhood (Maubert, Cluny La Sorbonne or St-Michel).







20 comments:

  1. Love all of the pictures, especially the food! I love CHEESE! And the picture of the bird is about as precious as you can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment. I love cheese too and when enter that store I thought I was in heaven ;)

      Delete
  2. Your photography is amazing, I really love the close ups. I feel like there are so many sections/neighborhoods in Paris it's nice to have an up close and personal feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paris has so much to see. I've been there twice and have so much to visit still. Looking forward to go back. Thank you for your feedback. It means very much to me.

      Delete
  3. This is my most favorite area in Paris. It's super lovely. And love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanie! Loved it too. Soon I'll publish a post on Jardin du Luxembourg. Didn't you love it?

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the Latin Quarter! It's one of my favorite places in Paris! You captured the essence of the neighborhood in your post and picture, I felt like I was back there, strolling through the streets. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. Is good to know that I've inspired someone to visit Paris but also that I helped some one else to remember happy moments.

      Delete
  5. As a parisian, this is my favorite neighborhood in Paris ! I'm glad you got to enjoy it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to visit Paris one day. Those gothic churches look so cool. I just love the architecture. You've captured the city quite well. The fruits from the street market look yummy. But it seems like it was a cold day with not a lot of sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Johann, although it was July, the day was cloudy and cold. But the berries were sweet :) Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Amazing photos! I've been wanting to go to Paris so badly lately, it looks incredible. Your post just makes the urge to go there even stronger. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lianna, hope you can get to paris real soon. Its a lovely city. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Love Paris, my favourite destination - thank you for brining back wonderful memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you've been happy in Paris! Its an amazing city. Thank you for your comment, I'm glad that you liked the post.

      Delete
  9. Paris - yes. It's always a delight. Your photos are spectacular. It gave me the feeling of being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it and that it bring you nice memories. Thank you for your feedback.

      Delete
  10. I love Quartier Latin in Paris! The Shakespeare & Company Bookstore is definitely a place to visit. Though I have spent most of my time in France outside of Paris, studying abroad in Nice and Dijon, I always enjoyed my short stays in Paris. La ville est vraiment magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Jennifer! It seems like we can never get enough of it. Thank you so much for your comment.

      Delete

Premium Flexible Related Post Widget for Blogger – Blogspot